TOP Cloud Solutions Giant, US
Web porting of legacy desktop Application. XOR team provided unique solutions to technical issues faced by our client to take their business application online.
8 Team Members
Sept 2013 – July 2014
Web Application Development
Product Development as Fixed Time / Fixed Cost Basis
Client is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Durham, North Carolina that specialises in cloud communications and workstream collaboration solutions. Client solutions power more than 90% of the Fortune 100 organizations, along with:
- 19 of the world’s top 20 major banks
- The top 10 insurance companies
- The world’s top 10 car manufacturers
- More than 4,800 educational institutions worldwide
- 80% of the world’s largest hotels and motels
- 8 of the world’s 10 leading health services companies
- More than 5,800 healthcare institutions around the world
- XOR client had a legacy desktop application being used for over 15 years as the primary tool for sales automation. Since the application was desktop based, it limited users’ access to it from anywhere/any machine.
- It also made the new release update process slow as the new release had to be installed by every user on their machine
- Having a desktop application was also disadvantageous as the crucial user behaviour data could not be gathered (like which pages were visited, which activity took longer for the user etc) and hence improvements based on that data could not be made in the application to enhance user experience and increase sales.
How We Made It
- This application used a third party engine at the backend which was not thread safe, so if parallel calls from multiple users were directed to it, it resulted in an application crash. All the modules used in the application heavily depend on this engine of which the client does not have source code access and support for this problem was also not available from the third party. This was a major blocker in porting the application to the web.
- XOR technical team built a solution which created a different native process for each user on the server to resolve the issue. The third party engine was loaded inside this native process which was unique for each user. This allowed users to run applications in parallel.
- XOR team also had to reverse engineer most of the requirements from the legacy application to port it on the web in the absence of documented requirements.
- The new web application resolved all the bottlenecks faced by the client by using desktop application for years.
- Web application allowed the client to record user behaviour and improve their tools for increasing sales.
- Issues faced by clients’ users on the website were automatically recorded and worked upon proactively and reduced support ticket TAT.
- No user time loss in updates.
- More data security.
Hope you found our efforts worthy enough to collaborate.
Check out our other victories also.
Estimate Your Application Development With Our Product Expert
Your ideas and copyright are safe with us. We are just helping you take your first step.