Top Cloud Solutions, U.S
Xorlabs development team rendered bespoke tailor-made solutions for a client struggling with a legacy desktop application.
Team: 8 Team Members
Time: Sept 2013 – July 2014
Platform: Web Application Development
Country: The United States of America
Services: Product Development on a Fixed Time / Fixed Cost Basis
An American multinational technology company headquartered in Durham, North Carolina specialising in cloud communications and workstream collaboration solutions. The client power more than 90% of Fortune 100 firms along with:-
- 19 of the world’s top 20 major banks
- The top 10 insurance companies
- The world’s top 10 car manufacturers
- More than 4,800 educational institutions worldwide
- 80% of the world’s largest hotels and motels
- 8 of the world’s 10 leading health services companies
- More than 5,800 healthcare institutions around the world
The client was using desktop-based legacy applications for sales automation and management for the past 15 years. The desktop-based application came with its own problems including limited user access, manual updates download, no data analysis based on user behaviour, and many more to add to the list. These limitations did not allow the company to analyse user behaviour keeping it far from enhancing user experience and boosting sales.
The client required an urgent software transformation from a legacy to a modern web application that not only offered them multiple user access but also boosted user experience and rendered automated data analysis to enhance annual sales.
While discussing the client’s problem and a relevant solution, we came to the conclusion that the application used a third-party engine at the backend which was not thread-safe, so if parallel calls from multiple users were directed to it, it resulted in an application crash. All the modules used in the application heavily depend on this engine of which the client does not have source code access and support for this problem was also not available from the third party. This was a major blocker in porting the application to the web.
- Keeping the limitation in mind, our team of expert developers, project heads and industry experts built a solution which designated a different native process for an individual user on the server. Through our software development process, we were able to load the third part engine inside the native process which was unique for each user. This ensured that multiple users could use the application parallelly without disruption or software crashes.
- Secondly, our team of software developers did reverse engineer most of the client’s requirements from the legacy app to the new web application in the absence of required documentation.
- The data was safe and secure within the application.
- The web application maintained a database that helped the app to record and analyse user behaviour through artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Automatic software updates.
Our Solution & Procedure
With the transition from legacy web application to modern web application the client was able to boost its overall sales and manage user data seamlessly. With a better user interface and UX design, it became simpler for the client to offer its users an enhanced user experience every time they visited the app. Moreover, artificial intelligence and machine learning have been a boon for the company, in terms of, understanding user behaviour, offering betters results based on individual user searches and automatically updating the application when new features are launched.